Underwater Pumpkin Carving Class
We are offering the MDA Underwater Pumpkin Carving Diver certification. If you are interested in this PADI certification, the class will be taught by Michelle Gay from Two Tanked Divers at the event. Stop by the store or call 472-6321 ext 1 to sign up.
Underwater Pumpkin Carving Contest
October 29th Time 9:00 AM Location MDA OASIS
Cost: $20.00 -Event T-shirt
Underwater Pumpkin carving Specialty Certification Cost-$50.00
BYOP – Bring Your Own Pumpkin & carving tools
9:00 am Show Time 9:30 am Dive Briefing
9:45 am enter water
10:00 am Go Time
11:00 am out of water
11:30 am Judging Begins
12:00 pm Prizes will be awarded for each winning Pumpkin
TO ENTER CONTEST
Stop by MDA to sign up or give us a call 671 472-6321.
Divers are encouraged to dress up in costumes and have fun.
We will have some small prizes and all participants will get a chance to “Trick or Treat” and take home a souvenir
CARVING RULES (each pumpkin can only compete in 1 category)
1. The pumpkin must not be cut before the divers get in the water.
2. Divers must make all cuts in the pumpkin underwater.
3. Divers cannot cut on the pumpkin after they exit the water.
4. Divers can pre-mark the pumpkin with a permanent marker before entering the water.
5. Divers cannot cut themselves or their buddies.
6. If divers use props for their pumpkin, they may be attached to the pumpkin after getting out of the water.
7. All cutting utensils and weights must be brought up with the diver.
8.No razors or box knives. Must be a safe knife with sheath. See Rule #5
9. HAVE FUN
• Remember, Pumpkins float. You have been warned…….
Traditional – All pumpkins in this category must be carved in a traditional Jack-O-Lantern patterns
Most Original – Use your imagination to come up with the most original creation from your pumpkin.
Scariest – Create the scariest pumpkin by carving pattern or adding props.
A panel of judges will determine the winners on the day of the event.
TIPS AND TRICKS
1. Neutral buoyancy is not your objective. Make sure you and your pumpkin have the right diving gear, like weights, to keep you both on the bottom.
2. Weight your tools so they don’t float to the surface—but bring a backup dive knife, just in case.
3. Practice above water. Carve a pumpkin or two a few days before the event. If you need some ideas, there are hundreds of pumpkin patterns available online. Stick to the simple ones—you won’t have a pattern on your underwater pumpkin.
4. Bring the right tools. Dive Knives work well for the big cuts, but are a little hard to use on the finer details. There are many pumpkin carving tools on the market. Be sure to have a dive bag for your tools, so they don’t float away.
1. WHAT ARE THE PRIZES……………………………………..
Get a Pumpkin
You can get any size pumpkin you want.
You can put your design on the pumpkin, but no cutting before diving.
The bigger the pumpkin, the more buoyant it is.
Plan your dive with your buddy. You and your pumpkin must be underwater to start carving.
1. Be careful cutting your pumpkin
2. Remember to check your air
3. Have your buddy take photos and videos of you carving your pumpkin. (This is just fun to see after the dive)
After the dive, you can add to the pumpkin.
1. Be creative
2. You can use accessories
3. Remember to take photos